The 03s were built in BR Workshops between 1957–1961. BR had two workshops, Doncaster & Swindon.
Doncaster railway works was established by the Great Northern Railway in 1853, replacing the previous works in Boston and Peterborough. Until 1867 it only undertook repairs and maintenance.
In 1923 the company lost its identity, as a constituent of the newly formed London and North Eastern Railway. And following the creation of BR in 1947, the LNER was broken up to become British Railways' Eastern Region, North Eastern Region and partially the Scottish Region.
In 1957, the last of over two thousand steam locomotives was built and, in 1962, carriage building finished, but the works was modernised with the addition of a diesel locomotive repair shop. Under BREL, new diesel shunters and 25 kV electric locomotives have been built, plus Class 56 and Class 58 diesel-electric locomotives. In July 2003 'The Plant' (as it has always been known) celebrated its 150th anniversary, with an open weekend. The works is now over 160 years old.
Swindon railway works were built by Brunel's Great Western Railway in 1841.
After nationalisation of the railways following the Labour victory at the end of WW2, the GWR morphed into British Railways Western Region and Swindon works manufacturing was devoted to the needs of the new BR.
New building of locomotives for BR at Swindon finished in 1965 with construction of the Class 14 diesel-hydraulic locomotives (batch of locos for Kenya railways, shared between Swindon, Hunslet and Barclays, were the final construction in 1978-9). Locomotive repairs and carriage and wagon work continued, though the original carriage and wagon workshop was sold. The works finally closed for good in 1986.
|03 901 (D2128)|